Gubbi Labs is a private research collective with strong foundations in research and underpinnings of a social enterprise. The Labs was incorporated on 3rd February 2010 as a Limited Liability Partnership (LLP) firm with the Ministry of Corporate Affairs, Government of India [LLPIN: AAA-0691]. The Labs works on a host of domains ranging from sustainable ecosystems to livable settlements. The Labs is powered by a collective with interdisciplinary expertise and focus on research, development and consultancy. The Labs has an extreme focus for taking theory to practice and vice-versa with expertise in geospatial science and technologies, field ecology, urban and regional planning, and transportation.
Memorandum of Understandings (MoU)
- During July 2012, Gubbi Labs signed an MoU with Ashoka Trust for Research in Ecology and the Environment (ATREE), Bangalore. The scope of this MoU will be to establish a collaborative relationship in subjects where research and development intersect with ecology and policy studies to create public engagement and where they are expected to make an impact on quality of living while being economically and ecologically sustainable and any other area of mutual interest.
- During February 2012, Gubbi Labs signed an MoU with Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore; EMBARQ India and Ride-A-Cycle Foundation for implementing a bicycle sharing system at IISc campus as part of our Namma Cycle initiative.
- Earlier, during September 2010, Gubbi Labs signed an MoU with Centre for Study in Science, Technology and Policy (C-STEP), a think-tank based in Bangalore. The collaboration has resulted in at least 2 peer-reviewed journal publications.
Partners and Clients
In its journey, so far, the Labs has interacted and/or worked with the following organisations:
- Bhadra Tiger Reserve, Karnataka Forest Department
- Directorate of Urban Land Transport, Urban Development Department, Govt. of Karnataka
- Karnataka State Road Transport Corporation (KSRTC)
- Ashoka Trust for Research in Ecology and the Environment (ATREE)
- Centre for Study of Science, Technology and Policy (C-STEP)
- Ride-A-Cycle Foundation (RAC-F)
- Centre for infrastructure, Sustainable Transport and Urban Planning (CiSTUP), IISc
- Tokyo Gakugei University, Japan
- Canadian Museum of Nature, Canada
- Museum of Natural History, University of Colorado, USA
- EMBARQ India
- Institute of Public Health (IPH)
- National Institute of Advanced Studies (NIAS)
- IMO Control (India) Pvt. Ltd.
- Craphts Consultants (India) Pvt. Ltd.
Gubbi Labs has received grants received from the Ashoka Trust for Research in Ecology and the Environment (ATREE) to publish books on:
- Pictorial Guide to the Frogs and Toads of the Western Ghats by Dr. K. V. Gururaja
- An Illustrated Guide to Common Diatoms of the Western Ghats by Dr. B. Karthick, Dr. P. B. Hamilton & Dr. J. P. Kociolek